Search This Blog

Monday, September 19, 2011

Bead Soup

Hi Everyone,

It is with much humiliation and great sadness that I write this post.

Due to unexpected circumstances in my life in the last week I have been unable to complete my project.  YET

I do intend to finish and post it.  I have great ideas for two pieces that will compliment each other nicely.  However, this happened at our Sister Property just over a week ago:

“A 34-year old worker employed by PTI Group was electrocuted while installing electrical cable at Beaver River Lodge,” said Occupation Health and Safety spokesperson Sorcha Thomas.
The incident occurred on Sept 11 at about 9:30 am while the man was working at the main electrical distribution area for a camp that serves oil and gas workers about 49 km north of Fort McMurray.
“A stop work order for the electrical distributor is in effect, while our officers investigate the death,” said Thomas.
Beaver River Lodge is a 732-room facility with private management and executive suites, home-style cuisine, games room, licensed lounge, driving range and fitness facility.
PTI Group provides accommodations and food services to workers in remote areas. "

This was one of the kindest men you could know.  He's got 8 month old twins and another baby on the way.  Our construction Crew and Maintenance department is devastated.

Due to the nature of the accident Beaver River lost all power and other services for approximately 48 hours.  Now, because we are 45 minutes north of the most rudimentary civilization those 732 guests + staff and management had to be housed at our property which is right next door.

I work at the front desk and getting that many people (who are used to being pampered and are quite whiny ...I'm still exhausted and therefore a little whiny myself) into a Camp where the people they Manage are staying AND keeping them happy is no small task.  Add to that the fact that our little staff of five has been working short handed all summer and our relief came back 10 days late from holidays.  So the  three of us who were here to work at the time were already exhausted.  We then had to put in a number of 12+ hour days to ensure that everyone was taken care of aside from having to deal with the devastating loss.  It has been all we could do to make it through the day and then peel ourselves out of bed in the morning.  Also, while we only had our unexpected guests for two nights we had to be ready to take in all the ones that had been put out for those two nights the next day.

Anyway, enough whining from me about my problems.  What I would like to say is that I got started, the idea is in my head of how to do it but when I tried to get back at it the other night I found I hadn't the stregth, the energy or any patience hwatsoever to continue on.

I appologize everyone in the Bead Soup Blog Hop.  Right now I must get to work....again.  I have posted pictures of the pendant  that I made and the Egptian Coil Necklace that I started to make.  it was my plan to put in three or four of the coils then un-bend one and string one of the blue agate beads on it and continue on with the coils...I'm not sure how long it will end up yet.

Anyway, I am very sorry to have let you down in this.  I was so looking forward to participating in this blog hop.  I know that I am not the only one that has been stretched thin.  I wish I had been able to come through...if I had been able to find anything in me to make this on time I would have.  I think that's why I put off writing this.  I had thought I'd maybe throw something quick together but decided that this and my partner deserved more than a quick non-effort.

I hope everyone enjoyed their Blog Hopping and had a great weekend, here is what I have so far.

















~<3 GillyBean

21 comments:

Angel Whisperer said...

this looks pretty as a start GOOD LUCK with the rest!!

Shirley said...

so very sorry to hear of your co-workers' death. totally understand life getting in the way of our plans. I'll mark your site to come back when you've finished your piece. The pics you posted are quite lovely. Looking forward to coming back. :)
Blessings!

Kate said...

Oh my goodness! You definitely have bigger things on your plate than BSBP, as much as we would love to see you! It looks like you've gotten a great start. Hopefully when you get around to it we can stop back and see your final designs! Take care.

Alice said...

Gillian,
There are just some things that can not be helped--and this is one of them. It's so nice of you to go beyond the call of duty to help these people. My sympathies to the friends and family who lost such a good man.

Andrea said...

So sad. I am sorry for your loss

LoriF said...

I am so sorry for your loss and so impressed that you took the time to write your note of explanation. Although I did not participate, I try to take the time to get to each of the blog reveals every time this runs.
It is very disheartening and disappointing to see the number of people who sign up, accept a package...and then can't be bothered to do their part.
I think it's very cool that you at least tried, and apologized.
I lived in Calgary for many years and am very familiar with Ft. Mac and area...my grandson works with a well-servicing company as a surveyor...I understand where you are and what you're going through. Hang in there!

Beetique said...

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. It's so sad that his children will never know him. I'm so sorry and I will check back later on your soup.

Anonymous said...

Now is the time to take care of yourself! We will check back on your finished soup, which I am sure will be super!

Lori Bowring Michaud said...

Goodness, gracious. I am so sorry for your loss. Take care of yourself, and the rest will come in time. I will keep you in my thoughts and will stop back in the future to see what you've created.

Skye said...

No worries about the Hop. There are a few people who still haven't posted. I'm compiling a list of those to make sure I come back and check, so when you DO get your piece done, I'll be around :)

The pendant there looks lovely and I look forward to seeing the rest!

coffeeaddict said...

so sorrty to read this, I'm marking your site and I'll be back to see what you made.
Take care!

Stacey said...

This is very sad indeed - prayers will be said. Hang in there!

Kathy ~ Artful Accents said...

I'm sorry to read about this tragic event. You've got a great start with the interesting wire work thus far...eager to see what comes out of it.

Jo said...

I'm so sorry to read what happened. You've made a great start to your piece.

Myléne Hillam said...

So sorry to hear about the tragedy. We all understand that this would throw your life into chaos. I'm sure Lori will let us know when we can come back to share in your bead soup.

Anonymous said...

No reason to apologize....so sorry about the death of your friend/coworker. I hope everything comes together for you soon :)

Chrissy said...

Sorry about your loss. You will finish your piece when you are ready, and Im sure it will be amazing. What you have shown us is already beautiful all alone.

Serena Trent said...

I feel for you! I use to work at the front desk of a hotel and when there is a problem it's even worst!

We'll still be here!

SoulsFireDesigns said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Please don't apologize, life happens. ((HUGS)) What you have started looks beautiful! And as Serena said above, we will still be here :) Take your time, take care of what you have to, but try to take care of yourself as well!

Alice Craddick said...

Hang in there. You will get to it and when you do you will be glad you have the soup to play with and your partner and the rest of us will have something to look forward to. I pray things are better soon on your end.
Alice's Beads and Baubles

Terri said...

Thanks for the post and letting us know about these unfortunate turn of events.
Love the smoothness and color of the bead...You have a great start here and I hope you'll let me know when you post again.