Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 02, 2011

What I`ve been up to.

Chain Maille Jewelry.

Who ever thought that chain maille would be used in such a way when they started making armour with it?

What a simple looking thing...who ever thought I would have enough patience to make something so friggity nit picky?  LoL.  Certainly not me!

This all started at the beginning of 2011 (nearly a year ago!  YIKES)  when  co-worker of mine and I were talking and realized that we both had a passion for beading.  She had mentioned that she'd heard of something called wire knitting.  Something like that anyway.  So, the search was on for videos or just about anything to do with that.  That's when I came across M.A.I.L. Maille Artisans International League.  It's a great little source of information if you are interested at all. (Incidently, this is nothing anywhere close to what we were looking for, she later found a video it's actual knitting with wire...who knew?!?)

I continued on to search for patterns and such that I liked and thought I could do.  Finally I made one.  The pic of it is posted on my fb.  (There's a link on the side of this blog to my albums there.)  It looked good but didn't quite turn out right.  I also started on another one.  I don't even at this moment remember what weave it was but, it very quickly frustrated me and I have left it in my "experiments to be finished at a later date" box.

Am I the only one that has one of those?

Anyway, my desire to master this field (is that the right word?) didn't die.  I found a web site.  I'm pretty sure it was M.A.I.L. that sent me there actually.  It has all sorts of supplies  and kits and books and information.  I highly recommend the instructions.  The way they're written is like being in a class.  I have finally purchased five. The first two I've completed are below.  The next three will follow quite soon I think.  It is amazing how much easier it is to use a kit than it is to try to figure out the AR make your own rings and find the right metal and everything else.  I feel a bit like a Chef following someone else's recipe but, how else will I learn?  There's just not alot of creativity involved.  However, now that I've got a few kits and am confident that I CAN make something that works I will try doing it all from "scratch" again I'm sure.  I also think I'll soon start to experiment with my own weaves.  Much like the people on M.A.I.L. have done.  The website that I purchased everything from is The Blue Buddha Boutique.  It's another great resource.

Here is my Japanese Lace 3 row.  What a pretty weave.  I bought it with my Dad in mind.  He had a car back in the days before me that was yellow with a black stripe.  I'm a terrible daughter and can never remember what it was...but, it was a muscle car and all the stories I ever hear about it are filled with love.  Anyway, I made it for him knowing that he would never wear it.  He's too tough for pretty jewelry!  lol   So, it's my Mom's now. I will probably make her a pair of earrings to match.  Sorry about the poor pictures.  I was at home when I did them and the good camera was in Camp and the people they are for are at home.




There is no picture of the actual finished product.  I had to add a clasp.  The kit does come with one but, it was silver...and that just wouldn't work for me.  I found a semi-suitable one and put that on but, will keep looking for "the right one" to change it to.  I'm picky that way.  I'm sure at least some of you understand.

Here is my Dragonscale.  I made this one for my son out of his favourite colours.  He is an odd boy.   LoL.  Ultra Blue and Bright Orange.  It's an odd mix but, it works, especially on him.  He's actually got a tattoo in these colours.  (I admit that I helped to design that.  I thought with the things he was planning if I didn't step in we'd BOTH end up regretting the decision he made.  It's a pretty cool tattoo.)  So, I also picked the weave for the name.  I thought it would be something that was right up his ally.  Dragonscale, Dungeons and Dragons, Harry Potter, ...all that stuff.   We're a very magical household.  hehehe





These pictures really don't do it justice.  It is an amazing looking weave and it moves like you would imagine dragon's scales would look like if you saw them.  I'm told that I've missed some rings.  It will be fixed next time I can get my hands on it.  I was cross-eyed by the time I finished so, I'm not surprised I missed some.  I also had a few sitting backwards to what they should have been.  That was a pain to fix.  My sister's innocent off-hand suggestion of "why can't you take just those rings out and switch them" produced an initial reaction of me wanting to toss the thing at her head (I resisted!) and it later turned out to be the best way after all.  However, it is much easier to do it right the first time!!

Next I will be working on two different variations of Byzantine and some quite adorable little Christmas Trees.

Have a fabulous week fellow artists. I hope to be here more often now that I`m feeling creative again.

Until next time
~<3 GillyBean.

No comments: